In a Year-Long Global Birthday Celebration, the Coca-Cola Bottle 100 Campaign was Activated in 140 Markets
ATLANTA, Nov. 16, 2015 – A design so distinctive that it could be recognized by touch alone and so unique that it could be identified when shattered on the ground - this was the brief for the creation of the Coca-Cola bottle, which today turns 100. Born on November 16th 1915, the Coca-Cola bottle was the creation of the Root Glass Company in Terre Haute, Indiana.
One hundred years later, this great icon was at the centre of new advertising campaign that launched this year to celebrate its milestone birthday. The campaign included an out of home and print series called “Kissed by” and featured iconic faces including Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe all kissing the famous bottle. A new music anthem track “Nobody Like You”, performed by Francesco Yates and a series of global art exhibits featuring works from the likes of Norman Rockwell and Peter Blake.
“Over the last 100 years, the Coca-Cola bottle has evolved from a functional consumer package into a global pop culture icon,” said Katie Bayne, Vice President, Global Sparkling Brands, The Coca-Cola Company. “This year, we celebrate the legacy of the bottle and the important role that it plays in our business today and for the future”.
Coca-Cola is marking the bottle’s 100th Anniversary date with a new digital activation. A 15-second digital birthday spot was created in partnership with Ogilvy & Mather Paris. The spot features the “Happy Birthday” song and a beautiful candle graphic created from a glass bottle and bottle cap.
Over the course of the year, the Coke Bottle 100 global campaign has rolled out in 140 countries around the world through the following elements:
- ATLANTA ART EXHIBIT: The Coca-Cola Bottle: An American Icon at 100 - Art Exhibition at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia from February to October 2015 featuring the original patented bottle and art from Andy Warhol
- TRAVELLING ART TOUR: The Coca-Cola Bottle: Inspiring Pop Culture for 100 Years - Travelling Art Tour covered 80,713km across 12 countries and was visited by over 120,000 consumers in 2015
- TV & DIGITAL: 15 new television and digital films
- OUT OF HOME: Kissed By – Out of home and print campaign featuring iconic celebrities
- ANTHEM TRACK: Nobody Like You – Music Anthem from emerging Canadian artist, Francesco Yates
- COMMEMORATIVE BOOK: Kiss The Past Hello – A book published by Assouline featuring classic and contemporary images of the bottle
- GLOBAL DESIGN INITIATIVE: Mash-Up – a global celebration of design featuring 100 up-and-coming designers re-interpreting the Coca-Cola bottle for the 21st Century using only black, white and Coca-Cola Red
- APP: Story of the Coca-Cola Bottle App – Interactive journey for consumers through the Coca-Cola archives in Atlanta
In Canada, the 100th anniversary came to life through in-store POS, commemorative Coca-Cola packaging, the “Nobody Like You” television commercial and out of home advertising.
To learn more about the campaign, please visit www.coca-colacompany.com/cokebottle100.
About Coca-Cola in Canada
Coca-Cola in Canada operates in all ten provinces, employs 6,300 people in more than 50 facilities, including six production facilities across Canada. We offer a wide variety of beverage brands, many of which come in no-calorie and low-calorie options. These beverages include sparkling soft drinks, still waters, juices and fruit beverages, sports drinks, energy drinks and ready-to-drink teas. We’re proud to offer some of the most popular brands in Canada including Coca-Cola®, Diet Coke®, Coca-Cola Zero®, Sprite®, Fanta®, Nestea®, PowerAde®, Minute Maid®, Dasani® and vitaminwater®. Coca-Cola in Canada is represented by Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada and Coca-Cola Ltd. For more information about our Company, please visit www.coca-cola.ca or www.thecoca-colacompany.com.
On social media: