When you think of themed food at Halloween parties, is your head filled with thoughts of peeled grape “eyeballs” and jiggling gelatin “brains”? If so, you need to start going to better parties.
If you’re looking to kick your Halloween party up a notch, fear not for your ever faithful
Enjoy and Happy Halloween!
Jack-O-Lantern Mac & Cheese
|kosher salt||1 pinch|
|orange bell peppers||6|
|elbow macaroni||8 oz|
|half-and-half cream||1 1/4 cups|
|cream cheese*||8 oz|
|cheddar cheese (shredded)||1 1/2 cups|
- Boil a large pot of water and fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Cut the tops from your peppers, remove all seeds and membranes before putting the peppers and the tops into the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the peppers are tender, transfer them to the ice water to cool them.
- Carefully carve your jack-o-lantern faces into the peppers.
- Cook macaroni in your pot of boiling water for 6 minutes (setting 1 cup of pasta water aside before draining).
- In a large saucepan, bring the half-and-half to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce half-and-half cream until about ¾ of a cup remain, add in the cream cheese and stir until melted and finally whisk in the cheddar until all combined and the sauce is smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, add the macaroni and stir. If sauce seems too thick, add pasta water to thin.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before scooping the mac and cheese into the jack-o-lantern peppers.
*For a twist, try using flavoured cream cheese
Hot Dog Mummies
|hot dogs (halved)||8|
|cheddar cheese||2 oz|
|kosher salt||1/2 tsp|
|garlic powder||1/4 tsp|
|ground black pepper||1/4 tsp|
|phyllo dough||8 sheets|
|unsalted butter (melted)||4 oz (1 stick)|
- Preheat oven to 400⁰ F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut cheddar cheese into 16 thin slices, take hot dog halves and cut a slit in each then stuff the hot dogs with the slices of cheddar.
- Mix salt, garlic powder and pepper in a bowl.
- One sheet at a time, lay down the phyllo dough on a large cutting board and gently brush it with melted butter. Sprinkle in some of your dry spice mix and fold the sheet in half lengthwise and brush with more butter before cutting into ½-inch thick strips.
- Using 2 stuffed hot dog halves per sheet, wrap the strips around the hot dog pieces to start creating your mummy look. Leave a portion of the hot dog exposed near the top to make room for a face.
- Transfer all your wrapped hot dogs to the baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on oven) until phyllo is golden brown and crispy.
Witch Finger Cookies
|all-purpose flour||1 3/4 cups|
|unsalted butter (softened)||8 oz (2 sticks)|
|confectioners' sugar||1/2 cup|
|raspberry jam||6 tbsp|
- Sift flour through a sieve and set aside.
- Using stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar together on high speed until smooth and pale (3 minutes).
- Add flour to bowl and mix on low speed until almost entirely combined (30 seconds).
- Divide the dough in two and roll out each portion until ¼-inch thick on a piece of parchment paper maintaining a rectangular shape.
- Transfer dough and parchment to a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Once refrigerated, slice the dough into 1 inch thick strips and lift edges to form a trough.
- Carefully spread a thin layer of jam along the trough with a teaspoon, taking care not to over fill the trough.
- Quickly close the trough and roll it gently to form a thin tube roughly 12 inches long.
- Repeat this step for the remaining strips. If dough becomes too soft to work with, return to fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cut the tubes in half dabbing one end with jam and gently pressing a sliced almond in place to resemble a “finger nail”.
- Gently squeeze the sides of the tubes to form “knuckles” and even recreate the wrinkles above your knuckles using a knife.
- Spoon some jam onto the end of the tube opposite the almond slice and return to the fridge one last time for 20 minutes while also preheating the oven to 300⁰ F.
- Remove from the fridge and bake until golden brown (15 to 20 minutes) then give 20 minutes to cool before serving.